Each year, as per state regulations, admission to public charter schools is done by a lottery process. To learn more about lottery regulations, please click on this link:
Current Alice King Community School students are automatically entitled to enroll the following year without participation in the lottery. Siblings of currently enrolled students will have priority for admission, subject to space availability, but will need to complete the lottery paperwork.
The lottery does not guarantee admission, but determines preference in filling available spots. Once a grade level is filled, any remaining names are placed on a waiting list for that school year in the order in which their names were drawn in the lottery.
Lotteries are determined by the Principal, based upon enrollment needs.
AKCS does not offer tours to the public outside of our Lottery Open House, which will be held Thursday, February 22, 2019 (5:30-7:00pm). If you are interested in having your child attend our school, we ask that you attend the Lottery Open House to ask questions about staff, curriculum and schedules.
ENROLLMENT and LOTTERY
If you are interested in applying for our lottery for the 2019-2020 school year, please follow these steps:
- Download or retrieve a lottery application at the front desk. We are accepting lottery applications beginning Monday, February 4, 2019. Please turn in completed applications to the front office in person so they can be stamped as received. Applications are accepted in the school office Monday-Thursday 8:00am-4:00pm.
- Attend the Lottery Open House on February 21, 2019 from 5:30-7:00pm. There will be an informational session/Q & A beginning at 5:30, followed by an opportunity to tour the school.
- In order to be considered in the lottery drawing, applications must be submitted prior to Thursday, March 7 at 4:00pm. Applications will continue to be accepted after the lottery in the order they are received.
- You may attend the Lottery on Friday, March 8 at 9:30am to learn what your standing is. You may also call the front office to learn what number you drew beginning Monday, March 18.
- We will begin notifying parents at the end of March if their child has been selected for an enrollment opening at our school for next year. When we offer an opening, parents have 24-hours to commit to enrolling their child.
- Once a student is accepted, he or she must complete and submit a series of registration forms during “new student registration,” time and day to be determined. Failure to comply with this requirement, on the date such paperwork is due, will result in a student losing his or her place at AKCS.
- Siblings are given priority in the lottery process; you must fill out an application for each child in your family (who you wish to attend AKCS). There is no guarantee of admission for siblings.
- If an application is improperly filled out, with regard to the grade level of the child, the application will be dismissed.
- We do not carry over lottery applications from one year to the next.
- The date the application is received has no bearing on the lottery number.
- Once you have received a number, you may be called throughout the school year, if an opening becomes available (based on your lottery number).
Please call Ms. Erica, at 505-344-0746, if you have additional questions, regarding the lottery process at our school.
Thank you for your interest in our charter school!