Each year, as per state regulations, admission to public charter schools is done by a lottery process. To learn more about lottery regulations, please click on this link:
Current Alice King Community School students are automatically entitled to enroll the following year without participation in the lottery. Siblings of currently enrolled students will have priority for admission, subject to space availability, but will need to complete the lottery paperwork.
The lottery does not guarantee admission, but determines preference in filling available spots. Once a grade level is filled, any remaining names are placed on a waiting list for that school year in the order in which their names were drawn in the lottery.
Lotteries are determined by the Principal, based upon enrollment needs.
AKCS does not offer tours to the public outside of our Lottery Open House, which will be held virtually Thursday, February 18 (5:30-7:00pm). If you are interested in having your child attend our school, we ask that you attend the Lottery Open House to ask questions about staff, curriculum and schedules. You can join the virtual open house by CLICKING HERE.
ENROLLMENT and LOTTERY
If you are interested in applying for our lottery for the 2021-2022 school year, please follow these steps:
- Lottery applications for the 2021-2022 school year will be available beginning February 1, 2021. The lottery application is available online and must be submitted electronically.
- Attend the Lottery Open House on February 18, 2020 from 5:30-7:00pm. There will be an informational session beginning at 5:30, followed by a question and answer session.
- In order to be considered in the lottery drawing, applications must be submitted prior to Wednesday, March 3 at 4:00pm. Applications will continue to be accepted after the lottery in the order they are received.
- The Lottery will be conducted on Thursday, March 6 at 3:00 pm. You can view the lottery drawing live by CLICKING HERE TO ATTEND THE LIVE ZOOM MEETING. You may also call the front office to learn what number you drew beginning Monday, March 8.
- We will begin notifying parents in April if their child has been selected for an enrollment opening at our school for next year. When we offer an opening, parents have 24 hours to commit to enrolling their child.
- Once a student is accepted, he or she must complete and submit a series of registration forms during new student registration. Failure to comply with this requirement, on the date such paperwork is due, will result in a student losing his or her place at AKCS.
- Siblings are given priority in the lottery process; you must fill out an application for each child in your family (who you wish to attend AKCS). There is no guarantee of admission for siblings.
- If an application is improperly filled out, with regard to the grade level of the child, the application will be dismissed.
- We do not carry over lottery applications from one year to the next.
- The date the application is received has no bearing on the lottery number.
- Once you have received a number, you may be called throughout the school year, if an opening becomes available (based on your lottery number).
Please call Ms. Kelly, at 505-344-0746, if you have additional questions, regarding the lottery process at our school.
Thank you for your interest in our charter school!